Peer-reviewed journal articles
“Engineering Informal Institutions: Long Run Impacts of Alternative Dispute Resolution on Violence and Property Rights in Liberia” Journal of Politics. With Christopher Blattman and Robert Blair.
“Wartime Violence, Empathy, and Altruism: Evidence from the Ivorian Refugee Crisis in Liberia” British Journal of Political Science (2018): 1-25. With Benjamin Morse.(PDF)
“Predicting Local-level Violence” Journal of Peace Research 52:4 (2017): 298-312. With Robert Blair and Christopher Blattman. (PDF)
“How to Promote Order and Property Rights under Weak Rule of Law? An Experiment in Changing Dispute Resolution Behavior through Community Education” American Political Science Review 108(1) (2014): 100-120. With Christopher Blattman and Robert Blair. (PDF)
“Legible Institutions and Land Demand: The Effect of Property Rights Systems on Investment in Liberia” with Darin Christensen and Cyrus Samii
“Violence, Displacement and Support for Internally Displaced People: Evidence from Syria” with Ben Morse and Sigrid Weber.
“Sacred values and violence: Explaining land dispute escalation”
Alternative Dispute Resolution in Liberia (Project website)
Predicting Local Violence in Liberia (Project website)
Community Land Protection Program Evaluation (Project website)
EGAP Metaketa III Natural Resource Governance: Monitoring and Managing Forest Resources in Liberia (Project website)
Community-based Dispute Resolution in Myanmar (IGC Myanmar)
Land Rights and Disputes in Côte d’Ivoire (Peace and Recovery Projects)
- “Land Conflict and Food Security in the Liberian-Ivoirian Border Region.” Oslo: The Norwegian Refugee Council, October 2012. (PDF) (French)
- “Patterns of Conflict and Cooperation in Rural Liberia (Part 2): Prospects for Conflict Forecasting and Early Warning.” New Haven: Innovations for Poverty Action, February 2012. With Christopher Blattman and Robert Blair (PDF)
- “Patterns of Conflict and Cooperation in Rural Liberia (Part 1): Results from a Longitudinal Study.” New Haven: Innovations for Poverty Action, October 2011. With Christopher Blattman and Robert Blair (PDF)
- “Can We Teach Peace and Conflict Resolution? Results from an Evaluation of the Community Empowerment Program in Liberia.” New Haven: Innovations for Poverty Action, August 2011. With Christopher Blattman and Robert Blair (PDF)
- “Which Side Are We On?: Security Challenges in Liberia’s Border Regions.” Submitted to the Small Arms Survey, January 2011.
- “A Comparative Analysis of Land Conflict in Liberia: Grand Gedeh, Lofa and Nimba Counties.” Oslo: The Norwegian Refugee Council, July 2010. (PDF)