Peer-reviewed journal articles
“Citizen Monitoring Promotes Informed and Inclusive Governance of Community Forests in Liberia” with Darin Christensen and Cyrus Samii. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences – PNAS Forthcoming.
“Adoption of Community Monitoring Improves Common Pool Resource Management Across Contexts” with Tara Slough, Daniel Rubenson, Ro’ee Levy Francisco Alpizar Rodriguez, Maria Bernedo Del Carpio, Mark T Buntaine, Darin Christensen, Alicia Cooperman, Sabrina Eisenbarth, Paul Ferraro, Louis Graham, Alexandra Hartman, Jacob Kopas, Alexandra S McLarty, Anouk S. Rigterink, Cyrus Samii, Brigitte Seim, Johannes Urpelainen, Bing Zhang. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences – PNAS Forthcoming.
“Legibility and External Investment: An Institutional Natural Experiment in Liberia” with Darin Christensen and Cyrus Samii. International Organization Forthcoming.
“Violence, Displacement, and Support for Internally Displaced Persons: Evidence from Syria” with Ben Morse and Sigrid Weber. Journal of Conflict Resolution Forthcoming.
“Engineering Informal Institutions: Long Run Impacts of Alternative Dispute Resolution on Violence and Property Rights in Liberia” Journal of Politics. With Christopher Blattman and Robert Blair.
“Wartime Violence, Empathy, and Altruism: Evidence from the Ivorian Refugee Crisis in Liberia” British Journal of Political Science (2018): 1-25. With Benjamin Morse.(PDF)
“Predicting Local-level Violence” Journal of Peace Research 52:4 (2017): 298-312. With Robert Blair and Christopher Blattman. (PDF)
“How to Promote Order and Property Rights under Weak Rule of Law? An Experiment in Changing Dispute Resolution Behavior through Community Education” American Political Science Review 108(1) (2014): 100-120. With Christopher Blattman and Robert Blair. (PDF)
“A Field of Her Own? Property Rights and Women’s Agency in Myanmar” with Edmund Malesky, Lakshmi Iyer, and Alexandre Fertig
“Enabling Community Resource Management through Negotiation Skills” with Darin Christensen and Cyrus Samii
“Qualitative Pre-Analysis Plan: Legible Institutions and Land Demand” with Darin Christensen and Cyrus Samii
“Indivisibility and Institutions: Understanding land dispute escalation in Liberia” Book manuscript
Alternative Dispute Resolution in Liberia (Project website)
Predicting Local Violence in Liberia (Project website)
Community Land Protection Program Evaluation (Project website)
EGAP Metaketa III Natural Resource Governance: Monitoring and Managing Forest Resources in Liberia (Project website)
Community-based Dispute Resolution in Myanmar (IGC Myanmar)
Land Rights and Disputes in Côte d’Ivoire (Peace and Recovery Projects)
Land Rights in Myanmar (Project website)
- “Land Conflict and Food Security in the Liberian-Ivoirian Border Region.” Oslo: The Norwegian Refugee Council, October 2012. (PDF) (French)
- “Patterns of Conflict and Cooperation in Rural Liberia (Part 2): Prospects for Conflict Forecasting and Early Warning.” New Haven: Innovations for Poverty Action, February 2012. With Christopher Blattman and Robert Blair (PDF)
- “Patterns of Conflict and Cooperation in Rural Liberia (Part 1): Results from a Longitudinal Study.” New Haven: Innovations for Poverty Action, October 2011. With Christopher Blattman and Robert Blair (PDF)
- “Can We Teach Peace and Conflict Resolution? Results from an Evaluation of the Community Empowerment Program in Liberia.” New Haven: Innovations for Poverty Action, August 2011. With Christopher Blattman and Robert Blair (PDF)
- “Which Side Are We On?: Security Challenges in Liberia’s Border Regions.” Submitted to the Small Arms Survey, January 2011.
- “A Comparative Analysis of Land Conflict in Liberia: Grand Gedeh, Lofa and Nimba Counties.” Oslo: The Norwegian Refugee Council, July 2010. (PDF)